Whether your team is in the BIG GAME or not, the Super Bowl is something most of us will tune in to at some point on Sunday.
There is never a better excuse to make some fun snacks than a bug sporting event. Here are some options that the kids should enjoy, but not be too hard for you to put together with a few key ingredients.
Have slightly older kids? Get them in there helping!
Cereal Treat Footballs:
Prep and Cook: 40min total
- Combine the mini marshmallows, butter and mini chocolate chips in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until the butter and chocolate are melted; stir to combine.
- Pour in the cocoa rice cereal and stir until coated.
- Spray your hands with cooking spray, then shape the rice cereal mixture into twelve 4-inch footballs on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Let cool, then pipe on laces and stripes with vanilla frosting.
Hawaiian Ham & Cheese Poppy Sliders:
Prep Time: 5 min Cook Time: 25 min
one 12-count package Hawaiian sweet rolls, sliced in half (see directions for more details)
¾ pound cooked deli ham, thinly sliced
3/4 pound Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon dijon mustard1 tablespoon poppy seeds
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
2 teaspoons Worcesteshire sauce
¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
¼ teaspoon pepper, or to taste
Prep Time: 30min, Cook Time: 25 min. Inbetween Time: 1 hr.
- Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam. Add the flour and butter and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl and then oil it well with vegetable oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and sit in a warm place for approximately 50 to 55 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with the vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.
- In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place onto the parchment-lined half sheet pan.
- Place the pretzels into the boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula. Return to the half sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with the pretzel salt. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.
2 cups “riced” cauliflower, broccoli, par-cooked shredded sweet potato or 2 ½ cups shredded zucchini
½ cup blanched almond flour or bread crumbs
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Process fresh broccoli or cauliflower in a food processor until it is “riced”, meaning you have pieces about the size of rice. You can also grate/chop to attain the same texture though it takes a little longer.
- Place two cups of the riced cauliflower or broccoli in a microwave-safe dish (Pyrex measuring cup works great) and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes.
- Dump the hot “riced” veggies into a medium bowl and allow them to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the almond flour or bread crumbs, cheese, egg, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt to the bowl and stir well to combine. The mixture should hold together when you press it in your hand. You can add a few more tablespoons of almond flour or bread crumbs as needed to help the mixture come together.
- Use your hand to form the veggie mixture into “tot” shaped pieces and place them on the prepared baking sheet until you have used all of the vegetable mixture.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, flipping the tots over half way through baking, until the tots are golden brown.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
Total Time: 20 min
1 pound ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup diced onion
1 (1 ounce) taco seasoning packet
6-8 snack sized bags of Fritos or Doritos
We hope that even if this didn’t give you a specific thing to make, it stirred up some ideas.
When in doubt, chips and dip do the trick just as well.