We all know left to their own devices most kids would like to have ice cream for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and waffles for dinner…or wait, is that us moms’ dream menu for the day?
The great news is there are so many recipes to make healthy meals more enjoyable for everyone.
Sometimes it can be a chore to get kids on board with healthy food choices. Try to switch things up and make them full of variety while using some creativity to get those necessary nutrients into your kiddos diet – and yours as well!
Added benefits to creating those healthy habits now in the kitchen allow for positive quality time spent together, using play and creativity to make eating healthily enjoyable for your littles, and not having to make a bunch of different meals for everyone in the family because these recipes will be great to all.
Give each of these recipes a go and add your own special twist!
BELL PEPPER PIZZAS
Did you know pizza is the #1 meal consumed in America? Not surprising considering it’s delicious and it’s not uncommon for the whole entire family to love it! Enjoy this bell pepper pizza recipe guilt-free and with a happy little one who can’t get enough.
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 1/4 cup pizza or spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded or grated cheese
- Whichever pizza toppings you like
Pre-heat your oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Slice off each of the four sides of your pepper and lay flat on a baking sheet.
Top with sauce, then cheese, followed by any veggie or favorite pizza topping.
Bake for 10 minutes and enjoy!
PEANUT BUTTER BANANA CATERPILLAR
Simple, sweet, and FUN! Make these peanut butter banana caterpillars for a quick snack that can help get in micronutrients complaint-free. Get creative with your caterpillar and turn this snack time into a fun activity as well with your little.
- 1 banana
- Peanut butter of choice
- Thin pretzel sticks
- Coconut flakes
- Additional fruit of your choice
- Slice banana into 1/2 inch segments
- Place peanut butter between banana segments to have them stick together.
- Place pretzel sticks into peanut butter on both sides of the banana segments (these are the “legs”) Add two pretzel sticks to the front banana piece as the antennas.
- Sprinkle coconut flakes on top of the caterpillar.
- Place two raisins between antennas as the eyes.
- OPTIONAL – add additional fruit to caterpillar toppings or as body segments (get creative!)
HOMEMADE FRUIT ROLL UPS
These three-ingredient fruit roll-ups will keep kids happy and be a yummy taste of nostalgia for Mom! The natural ingredients are great for everyone’s immune system and will also save you money on those snacks that can get expensive from the store.
- About 3 cups of fruit of your choice i.e. berries, mangos, etc (frozen fruit is fine)
- 2-3 TBS your sweetener of choice (Truvia, Stevia, sugar, etc)
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- Blend all ingredients in either a food processor or blender
- Line a baking sheet with either high-quality plastic wrap or parchment paper
- Pour the blended fruit mixture onto the baking sheet and make it as thin as possible by spreading with a spoon or spatula.
- Dehydrate your roll up in the oven, using as low of a temperature as your oven will go. The temperature you dry it at determines the time needed and can range from 4 to 6 hours. When the middle is no longer tacky is when it is finished. *If edges become dry, rehydrate by brushing on water.
Take one of the most well-known lunches that have stood the test of time and make it filled with healthy options for your kiddo(s) and you. There are so many varieties you could build using the template to follow below!
- Lunchmeat of your choice (turkey, ham, chicken, etc)
- Cracker of your choice
- Cheese of your choice
- Fruit of your choice
- Veggie of your choice
- Treat of your choice (mini candies are perfect!)
- Pick of container or plate of choice for building your Lunchable. Check out THESE four-compartment containers on Amazon that are great for this or THESE compartment plates. A regular container or plate you have at home is just fine as well.
- Divide each item in stacks of 4-6 on the plate.
- Build your cracker sandwich and enjoy your side items!
Enjoy your time in the kitchen!