When it comes to date ideas, do you find yourself sitting in front of your significant other with that blank stare, not sure what to go do? Tired of hitting the same dinner spot and a movie? Especially during the NW Ohio winter season, it can be tough to keep it fresh and mix it up. We have a TON to offer in the NW Ohio area, but it can be easy to draw a blank when it comes to decision time.
Well, we have you covered. Just remember, some things may need tickets or reservations… so start game planning your next adventure out now!
1. Check out a performance. The NW Ohio area is home to some venues that attract big names in music and Broadway. Check out who is coming to the Huntington Center on tour. The Stranahan Theatre is also a common spot for your favorite music artist or comedian to stop by. It also brings in shows like “The Lion King,” while also housing many Toledo Ballet productions like the upcoming “Cinderella”. Enjoy the symphony? The Toledo Symphony performs there as well as at the iconic Peristyle at the Toledo Art Museum. They will often have music set to the showing of the movie the music comes from. Star Wars and Mary Poppins are just 2 examples.
2. Take in Art. Speaking of the Art Museum, what an amazing asset to the NW Ohio area, and it only costs you $10 to park! Special engagement exhibits are always coming to town, along with classics like the Egyptian artifacts. Pick out a favorite and see if your date can guess which one it was.
3. Sporting Events. Take in a hockey or basketball game at one of the College/Universities in the area. We have the University of Toledo and Bowling Green State University close by for some NCAA Division 1 basketball games. Even a quick road trip to Ann Arbor can put you in front of the Big Ten Michigan team. Want to go to a professional level event? Check out the Toledo Walleye at the Huntington Center in downtown Toledo.
4. Create Art. Find your closest painting class like Art A Site! in BG, Art Lab in Toledo or Board and Brush in Sylvania. Into glass? Check out classes that may be going on at Fire Nation or Copper Moon Studio.
5. Skating. Lace up some skates and test your balance. Since we are talking Winter, look for an ice rink or skating park near you. Ottawa Park and Sylvania Tamoshanter for the Toledo/Sylvania area. Slater Family Ice Arena out in BG and The Cube in Findlay.
6. Cooking Class or Wine Tasting. Foodology is a good place to start for a cooking experience. And as far as wine goes, the 419 has plenty to choose from. Check out Urban Pine, Basil, Cooper’s Hawk and Majestic Oak Winery in Grand Rapids.
7. Winter Exploration. The NW Ohio area has some great Metro parks and landscapes to go out and enjoy the fresh air, even in the winter! Get some snowshoes or cross-country skis from Wersells and hit Wildwood Metro Park on a snowy afternoon. Take a sled to a local hill or Pearson Metro park and feel like a kid again. Grab a hot cocoa afterwards to warm up and connect some more.
8. Get a Flight.. at a Brewery. Local breweries are THE thing lately. If you have a different pallet than your date, places like Casual Pint in Toledo offers almost 35 different beers on tap! (Wine too). Bonus: a lot of these places offer trivia nights or live music. Some other Breweries around NW Ohio to check out: Wild Side Brewing, Earnest Brew Works, Inside the Five, Brewing Green, Juniper Brewing Company, Patron Saints, Findlay Brewing Company, False Chord Brewing and Buffalo Rock.
9. Laugh Together. Check to see what comedians are coming to the Funny Bone, located in Levis Commons Perrysburg. Also check to see who may be in town at the Stranahan. Seinfeld is just one example of a big name that has come to the Stranahan.
10. Game Night with Friends. Have some couple friends that could also use a date night? Everyone plan to gather for a game night. Each couple brings a snack to share and byob. Save money by staying in and pick games that allow you to relax and have fun. Pictionary anyone?!
11. Bowling or Axe Throwing. While there aren’t as many as “back in my day”, bowling alleys are still out there, and it can be so much fun to have a healthy competition between you and your partner. Find a local alley and double check open bowl times before heading out. Not into bowling? How about Axe throwing? Axe Ventura in Findlay and Axe 419 in Toledo are some common options.
At NW Ohio moms, we know there is so much more to being a mom than just the relationship between you and your kids. Having that connection with a partner can be so important to keep nurtured. Hopefully some of the above spark some new ideas or things you used to do together and have forgotten about.
Let us know which from the list are your favorites or if there are more specific locations that you enjoy to do these activities at. There are so many hidden gems out there. Share with your fellow mamas!